With modernization, we are now faced with more complex problems. Life is not as simple as it was back in the old days. In order to successfully deal with this rapidly advancing society, it requires a fit mind capable of adapting to complexity. With this, it is possible to see brain training as mainstream as body training is today.
Brain training aims to work on the brain’s core cognitive skills by using mental exercises. Cognitive skills are responsible for reading, learning, remembering, reasoning, paying attention and determining IQ. Brain training takes advantage of neuroplasticity.
Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to change and adapt. It is the physiological change in the brain resulting from environmental interactions. Neuroplasticity is responsible for learning from and adapting to various experiences. One example of neuroplasticity is the recovery of patients from stroke though rehabilitation and therapy.
Brain training targets specific cognitive skills then teaches the brain to be better at it by using mental exercises, just like how patients with stroke undergo therapies. The mental exercises can be intensive which makes you think, learn, read, and remember.
This is because the brain develops best when it is challenged. Having the brain challenged through intense mental exercise helps in making lasting neuronal developments.
Brain training can eventually improve efficiency at performing tasks of different complexity—from making a shopping list to operating an equipment. This could benefit students by further enhancing arithmetic abilities and in preparing for exams.
Also, this can be beneficial to professionals by avoiding job burnout and improving efficiency at work. For seniors, this can help them stay mentally fit. Brain training is absolutely valuable for any age group and profession.
With all the hype, brain training became a big business. Companies started to offer digital training via mobile applications, computer or video games.
Here are the three best brain training programs depending on your preferred approach. They claim that they can help keep your brain sharp and reduce mental decline.
ZOX Pro Training
ZOX Pro has been in this industry for over 35 years. Launched in 1975, they have aided thousands of people around the world. They have been helping professionals, executives, technicians, firefighters, police, military, doctors, families, and even students.
Basically, they have been providing trainings for people of different professions and of different ages. This company claims that they can help you upload about 25,000 words per minute with 90-100% retention for life. Their claims are backed up by years of research and development which includes several university studies.
ZOX Pro uses different interactive tools which aim to improve reading speed, concentration, peripheral vision and eyesight, as well as to reduce stress. ZOX Pro Training not only provides lessons and exercises but also ways on how to apply what you have learned in the real world as well.
The package includes several modules, item bonuses and supplemental training:
- The modules contain exercises and discussions which are short not exceeding one hour. This makes it easier for you to squeeze in brain training in your busy everyday schedule.
- Apart from modules, there are also three item bonuses which are recordings discussing deep relaxation exercises and mind programming mastery, an e-book containing vast collection of inspired writings providing insight on how to master your own mind, and another e-book titled ‘Law of Attraction’ discussing how it works and how it can help you achieve success
- Supplemental trainings and tasks will be provided as well. Tasks will be given to further apply ZOX Pro Training in reality.
ZOX Pro Training does not use a typical approach by just merely answering tests. It provides discussion, reading materials, and inspiration that will help you better understand your brain.
Although the whole package is pricey, it offers a lot of benefits for an improved quality of life. This training may be applicable for people who like thorough discussions as you have to listen and read a lot in this program.
Lumosity uses online games for brain training. Their games are put together by scientists and game designers. This is to keep brain training exciting, engaging, and challenging while making sure that the core mechanics of improving a specific cognitive skill is maintained.
Their claims are backed up by 100+ university researchers worldwide. This program has been used by around 70 million people in 182 countries.
There will be three parts for brain training:
- Getting your baseline. You will be taking a Fit Test from three games to obtain a baseline score. Here, you will see how you score against others your age.
- Daily mental exercises. You will be having daily mental exercises in the form of games that will focus on five core cognitive abilities. The level of difficulty for each game depends on your skill level to ensure that it will always be challenging.
- Track your own results. You will be able to see your scores and obtain insights.
Lumosity is a well-designed and user-friendly website. Also, there is 7-day free trial. The website is easy to use, interactive, and forces you to concentrate. The games run smoothly and are well-developed.
The package is cheaper than ZOX Pro but Lumosity requires commitment to see the benefits. This training may be applicable for people who can commit daily as best results can be obtained through daily exercises.
LearningRx provides a different approach by providing a customized face-to-face training which aims to improve attention, processing speed, long-term and short-term memory, logic, and reasoning. Their training program is backed up by 35 years of research.
This program has four parts:
- Cognitive skills assessment. You will be taking a test for about an hour to assess which cognitive skills need further improvement. This will be their basis in customizing your program.
- Here, you will be meeting with the director to further discuss your results.
- Daily mental exercises. You will be provided a personal trainer for about an hour a day for at least 12 weeks depending on your program. You will be doing intense mental exercises which focus on the way brain thinks, reads, learns, and remembers.
- Final assessment. Your cognitive skills will be re-evaluated. This is to assess if you have improved or need further training.
The LearningRx training program is like working out daily at the gym with a fitness trainer who will be customizing your workouts and encouraging you to push through. Having a personal trainer can help you focus on results, attitude, and confidence.
They can guide and provide encouragement so you can go beyond your limit and can challenge you to recognize your potential. However, this program is expensive and might not work for people who are self-conscious and like to train alone. If you are having a hard time motivating yourself and comfortable training with someone, this program might be for you.
Our brain is our powerhouse. Who you are—your abilities, your traits, your favorites—is ultimately defined by your brain. Everybody wants to be a better version of themselves and brain training could be of great help. It is like a CrossFit training only it is for your brain.
Brain training can be a part of a healthy lifestyle just like physical exercise. They both help you stay fit well into old age. It offers several advantages which could lead to a better life quality.
You can choose among ZOX Pro, Lumosity, and LearningRx which offer the best brain training programs depending on your budget and lifestyle. A positive impact is guaranteed. It is never too late to check out these brain training programs and see for yourself.